Saturday, October 1, 2016

Bible Reading Plan

The psalmist said, "How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, Lord; teach me your decrees. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word." (Ps 119:9-16, NIV).

Let me encourage you today to read lots of God's Word. But it won't happen accidentally. You will need to plan to do so. A good starting point is to read 25 to 30 chapters per week. In order to do this, you will need to pace yourself and ensure you read at least 4 to 5 chapters per day. Delight in God's Word and hide it in your heart. Seek Him with all your heart. Stay on the path of purity by living according to His Word.

There are 929 chapters in the Old Testament and 260 chapters in the New Testament for a total of 1,189 chapters in the Bible. If you read 4 to 5 chapters per day, you will easily finish reading through the whole Bible in around 264 days or about 37 weeks, which is around 8 to 9 months. It's about 100 hours of reading, if you take about 5 minutes per chapter, but I encourage you to take as long as you need to meditate on it, so the Lord can speak to you.

Please find the Bible Reading Chart at this link, which you can download and print, in order to help you mark off the chapters in each book of the Bible as you read them. I gave this to my children, and one of my daughters used it to help her read through the Bible in about two months. Therefore, it doesn't have to take you 9 months to a year to read through it. Depending on how motivated you are, and how much time you spend at it each day, you can finish it much sooner. Don't neglect His Word.

Attributions: Scriptures taken from The Holy Bible, New International Version® NIV®, unless otherwise noted.

Author's note: If you enjoyed this post, you may also like the other posts in this blog available through the Home page, such as The Bible is the Word of God, Read the Bible for All Its Worth!, The Uniqueness of God's Word, All Scripture must be fulfilled, and The Bible Never Fails. I also recommend Keeping a Prayer Journal, Life Transformation Groups, How to Start an LTG, Doulos Training School, and Scripture Alone.You may also access my complete blog directory at Writing for the Master.

Do You Want to Know Him?
If you want to know Jesus personally, you can. It all begins when you repent and believe in Jesus.  Do you know what God's Word, the Bible says?

“Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, and saying, ‘The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.’” (Mar 1:14b-15).  He preached that we must repent and believe.

Please see my explanation of this in my post called "Do You Want to Know Jesus?"
_________________________________________________

Len Lacroix is the founder of Doulos Missions International.  He was based in Eastern Europe for four years, making disciples, as well as helping leaders to be more effective at making disciples who multiply, developing leaders who multiply, with the ultimate goal of planting churches that multiply. His ministry is now based in the United States with the same goal of helping fulfill the Great Commission. www.dmiworld.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment